According to the Centers for Disease Control:
“Health equity is achieved when every person has the opportunity to “attain his or her full health potential” and no one is “disadvantaged from achieving this potential because of social position or other socially determined circumstances.” Health inequities are reflected in differences in length of life; quality of life; rates of disease, disability, and death; severity of disease; and access to treatment.”
That’s a large group of people, in vastly different circumstances and places, with various levels of insurance and financial means, being served by organizations of all types and sizes.
Two weeks ago, Dr. Gray, Mr. Waller, Dr. Menezes, and Moderator Ms. Onovakpuri, who goes by Ulili, took part in a panel discussion on Health Equity as part of the “Beyond the Divide” symposium hosted by Techplug, an innovation firm that’s working to “address health disparities in vulnerable populations.”
Among the topics discussed were:
- The Convergence: How the combined emphasis on Health, Tech, and Culture can develop inclusive health solutions.
- How to use this combination to address Sexually Transmitted Infections, which are on the rise at HBCUs (for example).
- The systemic inequities affecting Maternal Health and health delivery in general that prevent equitable care — and what to do about it.
So how does Simple HealthKit and these renowned leaders tackle the enormous problem of Health Equity?
The first thing is to change the vernacular — from “Underserved Communities” to “Priority Communities.” To make these people, in these places, served by these institutions our TOP priority.
To do that, we’re creating partnerships — and, we’re making progress — by combining technology, culture and partnerships, we’re able to do a lot for Priority Communities. By going beyond diagnostics alone, which leaves more questions than answers — to EVERYTHING people need to assess and claim their health.
- We make the test part easier— Community members can choose an at-home or on-site-clinic full-service testing option.
- We get results back faster — We built our own CLIA/CAP-certified labs to get all results in under 24 hours and even the same day.
- We provide one-stop test, treatment, medication, and even cure — We’ve assembled a full, end-to-end STI and COVID solution for people to get tested AND treated.
- We leave no one behind financially — We’ve found ways around the expense and will NEVER send a patient to collections.
- We understand each community and customize our solutions to the unique outreach, engagement, and budget considerations of each one — THIS IS THE BIG ONE!
- We provide health for any budget — One way is by providing on-site staff at no cost and free test packs so you can experience our difference.
And we’re doing all that with and for so many types of institutions:
- Large brands, like Walmart
- HBCUs, like SUNO (Southern University of New Orleans)
- Large corporations
- Federally qualified health centers
- Large health systems
- Safety net hospitals
- County governments
- State universities
- Community colleges
- Small businesses
Where does your institution, organization, or company fit along this continuum? And how can we help each other bring Health Equity to Priority Communities?
We’re all ears — and hands — and hearts.
After all, everyone deserves better health. It’s that Simple.